Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Hypothetical Woman Game

Last Sunday we had an awesome lesson in Relief Society where we made up a hypothetical woman with some trials and then we figured out some solutions to her trials. Let's play this game shall we?
So this hypothetical woman will have three kids. No specifics, just two older girls and a baby boy. This woman probably isn't a big fan of 6:30 in the morning. She probably likes to take long hot showers (long enough to sing the entire Mamma Mia soundtrack). Breakfast is a fun affair of leisure and relaxation. This woman may or may not have just had a bad haircut, and wants to take her time fixing it in the morning trying to look hot (for her husband of course) because it would be embarrassing at church to look like a slob. This woman loves her husband very much. This woman's husband may not like the fact that she makes him late for 9:00 a.m. church EVERY week. He wouldn't like walking into church in the middle of the opening song**. This woman thinks her husband is unbelievably handsome, although he can make a very good grumpy/disappointed/silent/growly/scowl when this woman makes him late for church. This probably would make the woman sad.


Now looking at this hypothetical woman, in my opinion, there is NO WAY she could remedy the situation, right? I mean, it seems to me she is trying HER HARDEST. Tell me you agree with me please. Are there any solutions?




**Remember this is just a game. This is in no way portraying our mornings. Our family is always fifteen minutes early with our children calmly leafing through their Friend Magazines.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jodi

That hypothetical woman sounds like someone I know. I seem to find myself in the back of the chapel with a few other women just like her.
I am afraid it doesn't matter what time church starts there just will always be some drama on Sunday!

Robyn

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Look for the solutions for the issues that are in the way of the goal. If the family is doing its best, then they are creating obstacles to get in their way of being on time to church. So, it gets to stop do so.
In this scenario, The shower seems to be long, the breakfast seems to be long, and getting read seems to be long. The short of it, is lessen the time it takes to do those things. Also, working as a team to accomplish a clearly state goal, works great.

I know I am working on accomplishing the same task as this hypothetical woman, being to church at 9am.

Best wishes.

Anonymous said...

This same hypothetical husband is responsible for making his REAL parents late for church when he was a boy! Mom Lori

Anonymous said...

So I happened to have started reading Dr. Laura's book : The Proper Care and feeding of Husbands. You should think about reading it. Brent can always tell when I have read it because suddenly I become a better, more thoughtful, caring wife. Anyways, in my PROFESSIONAL opinion... if this is something that is REALLY important to him and it causes distress between you then you should make a more conscious effort to remedy it in whatever way you can. If he sees you putting in the extra effort by getting up earlier or doing more the night before then he will know you are trying harder for him and he will appreciate the fact you are accepting his input and listening to his feelings. Not probably what you wanted to hear, but like I said I just started reading Dr. Laura.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Oh gosh. We are always 15 minutes early too. Those sad families who would be late! ;) We have 8:30 church....guh.

Anonymous said...

Jodi,
I have to tell you that I am totally entertained at night between you and Julie, and Callie. Please keep your blog going. I love seeing your adorable kids and reading about your life through the eyes of a comedian (you). I wish I had the talent to make my life sound a little more exciting and pure entertainment to others. I love you! Aunt Patty