Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Don't cry over dry Milk

Okay. So I'll never own a bakery. That's totally fine. But do I have to ruin EVERY recipe I try? Tonight I quickly put together some muffins for breakfast in the morning. Sounds easy enough right? Not so much. Apparently I pulled out the Self-Rising flour instead of all purpose which made the fluffiest, prettiest muffins in the world. That taste like salt. To add insult to injury I never seem to learn to NOT double batch. Ugh! I'm hoping because they have chocolate chips in them my kids will still eat them in the morning. It's fun having kids. They are like my little guinea pigs I force to try out all my new recipes. Sometimes before I even dare try them. Last week we didn't have enough milk for the girls cereal in the morning, so I threw together some dry milk powder and water and mixed it with what we had left in the fridge. It smelled awful. I didn't even dare take a sip. What to do? Hmmm. . . .
Leave it in the fridge, pour it on the girl's cereal in the morning, and see if they notice.
Aren't I sly?
They didn't notice. Point for me!
Either did Pete. HA! (please don't tell him)
Sounds like a good way to use up some food storage though, right? Also, I use the dry milk powder when I bake/cook so I don't use up my "drinking" milk. Saves money. Like a few cents or so. Gotta be thrifty; these are tough times.
Besides, when it takes 4 tries to get it right, those few cents really start adding up.
To like a dollar.
Now, if I only had a dollar for every batch I ruined. . .

1 comment:

rmanni23 said...

Yeah, I tried ALL KINDS of experiments on my kids, and they NEVER noticed! They seem pretty normal though, so no harm, no foul, right????

Love ya,
Mom