Thursday, February 12, 2009

The rule of Halfsies

This past week I've been working hard on cutting our house in half. It all started the other day when I was again up to my hips in laundry. I came to the realization that I don't like laundry, so why have so much of it? Doesn't make sense. So I first went through my girls clothes. Madisen had over twenty pairs of Jeans/pants for school at the beginning of the fall. TWENTY! She's FIVE!! Seriously I have a problem. But it's hard to not buy fun clothes for her when I find them so cheap. But that way of thinking is what led to me drowning in my fabric ocean. So I took half my kids clothes and gave them away. That led to my closet. We all know I'm training for a half marathon, and hopefully this will lead to my getting back to pre-preg shape. But will I want to wear those clothes I already had? Nope. Not this girl. I'll want new. So all those: gone. Then the Kitchen. Our house is only between 1000 and 1200. ft. With five people. Even though I'm not a pack rat, I realized when trying to shove all the clean towels into the pantry/laundry/storage/hall closet, maybe we do have too much for THIS house. So I'm keeping only two towels per person, and three plates per person etc. While I was at it I found 18 spare car keys my husband hid throughout the house so I wouldn't be stranded when I lost my own. Half of those: gone. CRAZY? yes. I will have to make sure I do laundry EVERY day, but hopefully I will no longer need a snorkel to navigate through my mess. I feel so much lighter! It's been awesome. And I have the warm fuzzy feeling of giving stuff I obviously don't need to someone who does. Turns out sharing is fun.

WHO KNEW??

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are too good!! I got really inspired to clean my house after I read this blog!! Seeming as it is 3:12 pm and I am still in my pajamas...we will see if it actually happens... :) (Not too motivated today!!)