Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Do Mom's Sweat?

I can't stand parenting magazines. They claim to be supportive of stay at home Mom's and yet I've never seen an article about the stay at home Mom who doesn't work from home. Or the Mom, that rejoices if they vacuumed in the morning and it still looks vacuumed in the evening. Or the Mom who figured out how to one up her child over the dishwasher battle. The battle where Mom puts the dirty dishes in the dishwasher, but toddler feels each dish looks best dirty, under the kitchen table. I must say I know a lot of stay at home Mom's, but not a single one who could name what was taking place on any given soap opera. I truly don't know a single Mom who even turns on the T.V. during the day for herself. And while I don't know a single stay at home Mom who wears sweats all day every day, I don't think it's all that impractical of a uniform when part of the job is to be a target for flying snot. I do hate the cliche idea of the Mom who sits on the couch all day eating bon bon's. However, after a particularly snotty-cold week, I've made an appointment with myself, 3 years in the future. In September of 2013, I have made a date with my couch. After I send my youngest off to Kindergarten, I boldy plan to spend that day in my sweats, bon-bon's in hand, and Soap Opera on the T.V. Don't Mess.

4 comments:

Misty said...

I have greatly enjoyed my little bit of free time that I feel I have earned after 12 years as a stay at home mom. However, very little of that free time is spent on the couch. I usually run errands because it is so blissful to do that without children in tow. Hang in there, your time will come soon!

Rachel said...

So true! I haven't watched one soap since I had kids. And if you've figured out how to come out on top of the dishwasher battle, I sure wish you'd post it. I could use the help! If you want to move up your date with your couch I'd be happy to have the kids over! :)

Anonymous said...

I know each situation is different, but stay-at-home moms share these common feelings. But what you are doing is VERY important although it is underpaid and underappreciated. And yes, there IS life after children---but what they don't tell you is, by the time you reach that milestone, you are too old to remember what you wanted to do when you got to this point, and too tired to do more than sit on the couch (with dark M&M's, thank you)!! Mom, Lori

Joby, Julie, and Cru said...

We should write our own magazine called "Trumping stay at home mom cliches" The world needs to know. Its up to us.