Tuesday, August 4, 2009

My Name is Jodi and. . .

I am a killer. A straight up, in your face, serial killer. Just ask my yard. The stories it could tell. I've heard of the green thumb. I always thought it was a myth. Never really paid much attention. After looking at my brand-new-just- five-days-ago-flowers however, I've realized not only do I not have any green appendages, but my thumbs ARE awfully brown and crumbly. Crispy like. I was told in ninth grade that all those crinkly lines on my hands just meant I had an old soul. Nope. Markings of a killer.
I may have misplaced my camera, so I've brought in some stand in pictures, so you can feel the pain like I do.
5 short days ago, we dug up a new homey dirt haven to place some happy plants in. I could almost hear them singing. They looked like this:
Happy Flowers Pictures, Images and Photos

Sadly, under the care of ME, they now resemble this:

Dead Flowers

and this:
Dead Flowers

Although, mine are less "dead is beautiful" and more, "crisp like desert"

It's not as if I set out to do this. It just happened. I know, likely story. But I can't help myself. I feel sad for them. It's almost like they're gazing across the street with longing, thinking about how the soil is probably richer on the other side of the fence/road. Can't say I blame them. Erin's flowers are tauntingly pretty. I have one last weapon however. This time in their favor. "I can overcome this!" I think to myself, so we've layed it on thick with the Miracle Grow!
Ahem.

(This was of course BEFORE we realized, Miracle Grow isn't SUPPOSED to be layed on thick)

sigh.

8 comments:

rmanni23 said...

'fraid you get that from your mom, jode. My plants have also always longed for the other side of the fence. However, before you beat yourself up too much, it's hard for plants to do much in this heat. It really stresses them out. Maybe if you put an umbrella over them and fed them ice cold lemonade, instead of Miracle Grow, they would be happier. Worth a try. If that doesn't work, try icecream. Always makes me happy on a hot summer day :) Oh, and one more little note, you aren't supposed to give Miracle Grow when the plants are stressed, did you read the label?

Jodi said...

Mom, I didn't know plants could be "stressed". You think I should give them a massage? Ask about their day? Chocolate?

rmanni23 said...

Chocolate might help, if that doesn't work, I would try a Pepsi. It always makes me feel better. :)

Anonymous said...

I like the stand-in flowers! Maybe you could do a bunch of cut-outs like that and stick them in the dirt. They don't need water or Miracle Gro, and you get to have all the Pepsi and ice cream for yourself! Mom Lori

The Christensen's said...

Ok so I TOTALLY understand your pain!! I have planted these spirea bushes 4 times yes 4. They have died each and every time. So I got on the internet to see if I could figure out what I was doing wrong and the very first thing I clicked on just happen to to that spirea are an excellent choice of landscaping bushes and are among the easiest bushes to grow...HA I will show them!!! Good luck

amy limb said...

Once again, you have made me chuckle! I just love you!

Lynette said...

Jodi your posts always make me smile. Whenever I have a bad day I just need to come find a little laughter in reading your blog. Thanks you for making my day better!

rmanni23 said...

Time to update, Jodi. Since this one was written, the kids have grown three inches, the summer weather has changed to fall, the price of gas has jumped 30 cents, and Christmas shopping has commenced.