Monday, March 8, 2010

CSI: Jodi Robs Walmart Checker

It's good that we are all such close friends around here. This way I feel like I can spill my deep dark secrets. Like the fact that by day I participate in thievery. Hold that thought.

It's no wonder I despise grocery shopping. I never make it all the way through without incident. Today was a relatively short shopping trip, I had a list and everything. At about the half hour mark, the poor boy had fallen asleep in the cart seat. We had no jackets with us to cushion his poor little head (darn this warm weather), so in order to lessen the times his forehead clonked on the cart handle, we decided to skeedadle to the checkout.
Now, recently Andrew and I have come across Dave Ramsey and his book "Total Money Makeover". We've been following his wickedly simple advice, which in part involves using envelopes for expenditures like groceries. So on my way out today, I grabbed the little "grocery envelope". In order to head off a tantrum storm, I allowed my kids to talk me into an extra box of plain pasta (apparently the thought of anything but elbow macaroni was just unbearable to Shea). Plain pasta can't hurt, right? It's a dollar a box, Jack's ready to clunk his noggin again, let's avoid the whine/mom explanation/fit fest, grab another box and just get the heck out of here.
So at the check out, get this: I'm $0.73 cents short. Are you kidding me? I do a quick inner debate to decide whether I should use the debit card, or just put something back. Trying to stick to the budget, I grab the macaroni, and ask her to take it off.
The young checker smiles sweetly and refuses, stating she'll just give me a dollar. I try to quickly explain (the line is piling up behind me) that, no in that case I'll just use my card, after all, I have the money, I just didn't want to bother with the debit card when I was so close. To my horror, she pulls one straight from her own pocket, takes my cash, and rings it up.
Here was my dilemma: She looked so happy to be helping me out, that I just didn't have the heart to argue with her. However, I had the money and didn't like the idea that she pulled one from her own pocket when I really didn't need the tantrum avoiding pasta. And the part I'm most unhappy to admit, is that my pride was hurt more than anything. I was so embarrassed knowing everyone in line thought I couldn't pay for my food.
The whole drive home I felt horrible. What if she needed that dollar for her lunch break? Did the fact that I have no backbone mean I just robbed the poor checkout girl?

I've learned a few things from this experience:

If I'm using cash at the store, bring a calculator for crying out loud

There are wonderfully kind people in this world

Always carry coats for the boy to crash on if necessary, and

Pasta is evil.

So, did I just commit robbery? What would you have done?

8 comments:

Scott said...

This means you allowed another human to serve you. It is not about the money. It is about the service.

I am amazed that this service occurred at wal-mart. I am pretty sure they are santans spawn. Now I will have to rethink that.

Scott said...

There is good in all things. So, maybe, I can hang on to that belief.

Angie Ball said...

Your posts always make me laugh. We did Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University last year, and it has changed our life!!! I love it. I still haven't gotten brave enough to just use cash grocery shopping for that very reason. Don't be embarassed, Dave would have been proud. Enjoy the pasta!

Anonymous said...

Do a "Pay it Forward". Next time you are at the store or a drive-through, leave a dollar for the next person in line. That way you will feel better and make another person happy (or unload the guilt on them!!!) Mom Lori

rmanni23 said...

Oooh, Mom Lori, that's a good idea. I hope I'm in line behind Jodi when she does this. But really Jodi, that WAS nice of the check out girl, and you made her feel good. So just this once, swallow your pride and let it be.

Joby, Julie, and Cru said...

That was you? I was two people behind you in line and the lady obstructed my view. I did however see the money exchange and thought, wow you know a persons hit rock bottom when a walmart worker has to bail them out.

rmanni23 said...

Way to make her feel better Julz. We always know we can count on you.

Jodi said...

Angie: thanks for stopping by, I'm excited you're going the Ramsey route too! It's nice to have support in the beginning when you feel so poor! :)
Julie: were you the pregnant-goth hanging out in the back?